One Man's Eyes

I'm an early 30's engineer with delusions of adequacy. From here, I'll share my perspective, usually through words, sometimes through pictures, of the view of the world from one man's eyes.

Monday, April 10, 2006

5 Year Old's Have Busy Lives


I'm finally getting a chance to write about the weekend. Let me tell you, my soon to be five year old daughter has a more active social life now that I ever had. Here's how our Saturday went. Start off with her first T-ball game in the morning. It was fun and relaxed. The league we've got her in at the YMCA doesn't keep score at her age group, everyone gets an at bat in the inning and the runners advance one base at a time, until the last batter on the team. We got through two innings in about 45 minutes and the girl did pretty well on both offense and defense.


So, game is finished - we run back by the house and get her changed as she has a birthday party for a school friend in 30 minutes. The wife and son stay home for this round. We make it to that party on time and have two hours of pizza, miniature golf, and arcade games.


Next, we pick up the boy and wife and race down to Alvin for a birthday party for her two day younger cousin. This time, it's at the new skating rink. Let me tell you, five year olds (and younger) on skates is not a great idea, but we still managed to have a good time. Although, I think my ankles are going to be sore for a good while. It's been a long, long time since I've been skating and I was never very good.


Finally, both the kids go off to spend the evening with their Aunt, Uncle, and Cousin so the wife and I can trek up to Conroe for a going away party for friends that she works with. The office that she works in is closing down in Houston at the end of April and she'll be working full time from home after that. The people for whom we had the party are moving up to the home office in Chicago. We also got to see several people that the wife worked with who had either left or been laid off as the office began shrinking. The economy is strong so everyone was doing well. As our host put it - sometimes you just need to let someone watch the kids and spend the evening just with adults. I love the kids and cherish the time I spend with them, but the wife and I really did have a good time just hanging out having dinner with these people and trading stories without having to worry about changing diapers and keeping kids entertained.


We pretty much spent Sunday recovering from Saturday.


Oh, and one other thing I've been meaning to point out - you'll notice a little rainbow colored square near the pictures in my entries. I've been using Picasa, the free photo manager from Google, to organize my picture collection. One cool thing about it is that I can select a picture and create a blog entry from right within Picasa as it and Blogger are both Google products. It's pretty cool and I highly recommend it. Posted by Picasa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home