One Man's Eyes

I'm an early 30's engineer with delusions of adequacy. From here, I'll share my perspective, usually through words, sometimes through pictures, of the view of the world from one man's eyes.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Daughter is Losing her Mind

What is your earliest memory from childhood? For me, it is some decorations on a particular birthday cake from when I was maybe five years old. At some point, we all lose whatever memories we had of that early childhood.

It's starting to happen to my daughter and it is an interesting and somewhat sad thing to see. Especially in these past couple of months, she's really come on strong with her reading skill and can recognize many written words. And her math skills continue to impress both her mom and myself. Yet, it seems that the price for this massive growth of knowledge is that her memories of recent years are starting to fade in spots.

One example that really jumped out at me is this - She and I will often play together on the computer at places like Noggin and NickJr. There is a particular game that I used to play with her quite often, but that we hadn't done for several months. We picked it to play recently, and she had no memory of the game at all. There are a few other things this has happend with.

Now, I know that it's just part of growing up, after all, it happend to all of us at some point, but it still makes me a bit sad to know that eventually she probably won't be able to recall a lot of the things we did with her during her first few years. I do hold some hope that with all the pictures and video I've taken, that perhaps I might be able to help her retain or recall some of these experiences later on. Only time will tell, I suppose.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home