One Man's Eyes

I'm an early 30's engineer with delusions of adequacy. From here, I'll share my perspective, usually through words, sometimes through pictures, of the view of the world from one man's eyes.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Stuff Portrait Friday - Round 2

Yes, it really is two SPF weekly posts in a row from me. This is starting to look like a trend. So, this week's topics are:

1. Show your Support (everyone supports something right?)
spf20060901_chapeau


This is my Chapeau and Sword that I wear as a member of the Knights of Columbus - a organization that I support. The Knights are a lay fraternal order of Catholic men committed to a number of principles, Charity being first among them.

2. Show me your sacrifice (everyone makes them right?)
spf20060901_soda

I decided to try to be a little artsy with this one - I saw this effect once and I was able to use my flash as a backlight through the bottles. But, why is this a sacrifice? Because, I have had to give up sugar sodas and this picture represents them. I'm struggling to get my weight under control and I've struggled with rises and falls for most of my adult life. I could easily down a two liter of Coke or Big Red every day and often did. That's a whole lot of high fructose corn syrup calories that I've sucked down over the years. So, for a good while now, I've been transitioning to diet soda and now that transition is complete. Thankfully, Splenda is making the change a good bit easier as it gives diet sodas a taste that is closer to sugar sodas - close enough for me to survive on, anyway.

3. Something red.
spf20060901_cape

Well this one was easy enough. The cape that I wear as a KC has a red liner as I am a basic honor guard member.

Apologies in advance to the other players. I'll be traveling over the Labor Day weekend, so my Internet access will be limited. I'll try to check out everyone else's entries as I can. Have a good weekend, everyone.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Army of Mom said...

Good luck on the switch. After a health scare and cholesterol levels through the roof, I'm making the switch to diet soda, too. It isn't bad, it is just different. I wish you well on that journey.

And, I love the KoC ensemble. I have some great pictures at the Easter Vigil this year of our KoC men. I threaten my son when he's not quiet that he'll have to wear the hat with the purple feathers on it. After he giggles, then he is quiet because he's not sure if I'm serious or not. ;)

I played, come see when you can.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the backlighting effect. Nicely done.

Happy SPF and I played too.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i know all about the KC :) I grew up in a Catholic church. I love your picture of the diet pop even though ewww i hate diet LOL!!

great spf! I played too :)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

That is a nice shot of the sodas. We did product stuff in a photog class a few weeks ago... Anyway, I can't drink the real stuff anymore; it tastes too sweet. You'll get used to the diet stuff. :) Good luck!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that sword and hat are AWESOME

happy spf
I played

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too gave up regular pop for the diet stuff...I was going through a case of pepsi every 2 or 3 days...bad for the weight, never mind what it was doing to my teeth!

Thankfully, dad being a diabetic meant nothing but diet pop at home when I was younger, so I was already used to the taste!

Thanks for visiting, and have a great weekend!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I switched to iced tea. I can go through a pitcher of it day, so I'm sure it's as bad as it can be with soda's.

Great SPF! Thanks for stopping by!!

11:37 AM  
Blogger barnmouse said...

I feel your pain. I'm staring at a can of diet mountain dew right now. *sigh*

Nice hat, btw...my cat would love that! LOL

I played too :)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I like that soda pic!

I played too!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Suzanne R said...

Great SPF! I'll have to remember that backlighting thing -- very nice effect! I'm hooked on my diet sodas but have limited myself to two 12-ounce cans per day (most days). ;-)

I played; stop by when you get a chance.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home