One Man's Eyes

I'm an early 30's engineer with delusions of adequacy. From here, I'll share my perspective, usually through words, sometimes through pictures, of the view of the world from one man's eyes.

Friday, September 08, 2006

A challenging Stuff Portrait Friday



So, we're supposed to be challenged with the subjects for this week's SPF? Well, I suspect we will get to see some interesting responses. Here's what I came up with:

1. Your Freedom
spf20060908_ring

This is my wedding ring. It represents my marriage, which is my freedom. Now you're asking "What kind of crack are you on, Ed? Marriage is freedom???" For me, yes. And I'll explain.
As of this past September 4th, my wife and I have been married for 13 years. We've had our ups and downs and it has often been a struggle, but a worthwhile one, nonetheless. My marriage means that I am free to be the man that I am and I'm free to grow to become a better one. I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not, trying to sell myself in the dating meat market. After thirteen years, my wife and I are free to go out to dinner in shorts and tee shirts becuase we know we don't have to impress anyone else - it only matters that we care for each other and accept each other.
Despite my regular quip to my wife that I got married becuase she clubbed me and drug me to the altar, I know that I freely chose this relationship and the lifetime commitment that it entails. I look forward to growing old with her.

2. Your Hope

This is the sculpture of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, that hangs upon the cross in the church my family are members of. He is my hope for salvation. But, I also know that many have done evil, claiming to act in his name. A majority of Americans call themselves Christian, yet we have no shortages in this country of failed marriages, abused children, murder, rape, theft. I am certainly no saint, myself. It is my hope that, especially those who would call themselves Christians, will really embrace Christ's call to love and charity towards our neighbor, and that we will stop using him as a club, a prop, or a snobbish justification that we're better than anyone else. We are all God's children, and we should treat each other accordingly.

3. Your Wish
spf20060908_skinny

This is a picture of me holding my daughter, who was obviously a newborn at the time. This was about five and a half years ago and I had managed, through a lot of sweat and reasonable diet, to get my weight down pretty close to where I wanted to stay. I was still on the high end of the BMI scale, but I was in about the best shape I'd ever been.
My wish is to get myself back to this state. I'm now about 40 pounds heavier than I was in this picture for a number of reasons. Actually, several years before this picture, through no sweat and a lot of bad eating, I peaked at a good 60 pounds above what I was in the picture. So, I haven't completely slipped back. But, it means that I was able to lose the weight before, so I know I just have to apply myself and I can get there again.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

I LOVE your freedom. I really hope that someday I'll meet someone that will feel that way about me :) I hope your wife knows how lucky she is!

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely view of freedom and marriage. You are very lucky to have one another. :-)

Happy SPF and I played too.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Sheri & SuZan said...

I love your freedom, hope and wish. Your words say a lot about you. Thanks for stopping by.

Have a great weekend!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Army of Mom said...

Good SPF. That is so awesome that you consider your "ball and chain" your freedom. You'll find our SPFs are very similar this week!!!

I love the crucifix picture. That is beautiful.

Come see my SPF. I liked yours a lot.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:)
Happy spf
I Played

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the last picture, you look a bit like Tommy Lee Jones :-)

thanks for visiting!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Wow, it's really nice to see someone saying marriage is freedom! I feel the same way about my marriage (14 years this past June). Great second picture too. I was trying to find a cross to take a pic of but couldn't find one. And I totally agree - it sickens me what some people who say they're Christians do and say.

I played!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was really a great example of freedom, congratulations!! I played too :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah great spf! we do have some things in common :)

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying to motivate myself into the weight thing, I need to lose more than some, but not as much as quite a bit, just somewhere in between.

I hear you on your hope, I see and hear a lot of "Christians" paasing judgement on others in our church and just hope that one day they really open their eyes to see what they are doing.

Your freedom is great! It's nice to know that even though I'm not the 18 year old 120 lb girl my husband met 15 years ago, he still loves me and doesn't care about what I look like now.

Come see mine too!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

Ed, your freedom made me smile. I even got those tinglys in my nose that means I'm about to cry, but your picture of you holding your daughter was just so beautiful that I gained my composure!!

I hope all your wishes and hopes come true.

I'm glad you stopped by this week and played...and I'm glad I finally have time this week to actually go through some of them!!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Suzanne R said...

Your SPF is lovely and it moves me. I think that to have a marriage relationship like yours has to be a wonderful thing. Mine was a bit more rocky than that but there were good times, too (I've been widowed for 11 years). Thanks for stopping by!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I so understand what you mean about marrige...been married 17 years here and I can't imagine being in the dating world. Yikes!

I love the picture of Christ. I miss going to church.

I played.

1:15 PM  
Blogger san said...

Wow, that was a really great SPF... very touching!

I played.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful. All of it.
I feel the same about my marriage.
hhmmmm...you've not switched to beta, so I'll sign here.

mmc
casamcaustin.blogspot.com
I played too.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by Ed -- loooved your freedom.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home