One Man's Eyes

I'm an early 30's engineer with delusions of adequacy. From here, I'll share my perspective, usually through words, sometimes through pictures, of the view of the world from one man's eyes.

Friday, June 30, 2006

The fruits of last weekend's labors


Yes, yes, I know the new weekend is upon us, but I finally got around to taking a picture to go with this posting. Last weekend, since there finally wasn't much going on, I was able to catch up on some much needed yardwork. Besides the usual mowing, I was able to get everything edged and weedwacked, and I finally managed to get some mulch down around the trees, as well as put in a couple of plants to replace some dead spots. One of the biggest things I did was to transplant some crepe myrtles into the pots you see pictured. Alas, the one on the right is a goner as I wasn't able to get enough of the roots out with it. The one on the left still has a chance and I'm watering it often to try and get it to hang on until it can rebuild its roots. I really let these two get too big before trying to move them, but I just hadn't been able to get the time. Actually, I had thought them to be a single tree, and it wasn't until I dug them up that I found they were two.
Thanks to Shell's parents, we inherited three of these trees way back when we first moved in. They were just twigs back then. I'll have to scan those pics later as it was back in the dark days of film. Anyway, all three of those trees grew well, but have very different characters. The northernmost of the three has faired the worst due to its location, but it has managed to grow pretty well and really tall in the last few years. It's very skinny, but reaches high and is always the first one to flower. The one on the north side of the driveway is massive. It has a single, thick trunk and has grown tall and spread wide. It competes with the oak tree that the builder provided with the house.
Now, the third one, on the south side of the driveway, is an interesting thing. It has dozens of trunks and more keep sprouting. It's the shortest of the three, but it still has a lot of mass, just more concentrated near the ground. It also reproduces like rabbits. The two trees pictures came from this tree and over the years, it has produced two more that I have planted in the back yard and another that I gave to my parents. And those are just the ones that survived! There have been a couple of others along the way that suffered the fate of the one on the right in the picture.
Even if the left one does survive, I'm not even sure where to eventually plant it as I'm running out of yard. This one may also make the trip to San Antonio at some point, we'll see if it's tough enough.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home